The Royal decree
On the 15th of May, 1841, the office of the Royal Military Command of the Province of Alba granted to Luigi Costamagna, the son of founder Francesco Antonio Costamagna, an official license “to retail the wines produced from his own vineyards in La Morra”.
It is the first document that testifies the winemaking activity of the company. It’s an important act, because it's an assessment of the quality of the wines produced in La Morra in those years and it granted Costamagna a certificate of excellence.
At that time the properties of the winery extended throughout the town and included the vineyards in Rocche dell'Annunziata as well as the historic cellars built in La Morra during the late 18th century.
The Golden medal
Francesco Costamagna won a Golden Medal at Expo 1911 held in Turin. It was a recognition of fifty years of uninterrupted production.
With Francesco passing away, his son Riccardo who was a lawyer in Turin and Alba, continued the family business with the help of his wife Maddalena.